Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here
Step By Step Kusudama Flower Tutorial. Before we begin learning how to make this origami flower, let me briefly explain about the Kusudama Flower
What Is A Kusudama Flower?
According to Wikipedia, Kusudama which means medicine ball in Japanese is a paper craft that is created by sewing multiple identical looking flowers folded from origami paper together through their points to form a spherical shape.
However this is not usually the case because Kusudama flowers can also be turned into some other beautiful paper craft ideas. Something like the one I made below.
Easy Origami Kusudama Flower Tutorial
Below I will be sharing a step by step Kusudama Flower tutorial for those of you that wants to learn to make this beautiful origami flower.
All you need are some basic paper craft supplies which includes a pair of scissors, some glue and of Origami paper.
But don’t worry, even if you don’t have any Origami paper, you can still use any ordinary coloured or even patterned paper. Squared colourful sticky notes also does the job.
To make these Kusudama Flower bouquet look much prettier, you would need some embellishment. For this project, I used some card candi for the finishing touches. You can instead use glitter, beads or pearl stickers.
How To Make A Kusudama Flower
To make a single Kusudama flower, you would need 5 pieces of paper cut at exactly the same square sizes. You can also use six pieces of paper, but for this tutorial I will stick with 5 pieces to make it easier for you.
1) The sizes you cut and completely up to you. For this tutorial I cut each piece of paper at 10 cm x 10 cm. Make sure all of the 5 pieces are cut exact in size.
2) Start by folding your first square piece of paper.
3) Fold it into half, from one sharp corner to the opposite corner. It should look like a triangle.
4) Next fold the right and left side of the triangle to the top point.
5) Hence it will look like a square as in the picture below.
6) Now lift the right side triangle and re-flatten it along the crease. Repeat on the left side too.
7) After you have completed both sides, it should look like the picture below.
8) The next step is to fold the right and left corner inwards.
9) This is how it should look.
10) Now fold the right and left corner inwards along the crease that was made earlier.
11) After you final fold, it should look like this.
12) Now glue one side of your paper fold as shown below.
13) Finally you have made one Kusudama flower petal.
You must repeat step 1 to 12 to make the other 4 petals.
14) After you have done it, you will have 5 lose petals as in the picture below.
15) Finally add some glue to one of the petal and stick another petal next to it. Repeat the process until you have glued all 5 petals.
Kusudama Flower (Origami) Video Tutorial
Here is a step by step video tutorial to guide you to make this pretty flower.
Now you have your very own handmade Kusudama flower. If you make 12 of these origami flowers, you can assemble them all to make a pretty Kusudama Bouquet or ball as I mentioned above.
You could even make some paper fold brooches for friends and family or decorate your windows and doors with some beautiful Kusudama flower string curtain.
Trending Paper Craft Idea : Easy DIY Paper Flower Basket Tutorial
I hope the Kusudama Flower Instructions was easy to follow. Remember to share this Step By Step Kusudama Flower Tutorial with your family and friends. Just click the share button below to share it on your social media account.